Re: pl/{perl,pgsql} (was Re: AW: [HACKERS] triggers, views and ru

From: ocie(at)paracel(dot)com
To: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/{perl,pgsql} (was Re: AW: [HACKERS] triggers, views and ru
Date: 1998-02-23 20:15:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck wrote:
> > BTW.: How do you write an input or output function in pl/tcl if all you get
> > is the external representation ?
>
> Impossible.

We could have the backend check file permissions, open the file and
pass the file pointer to the pl/tcl procedure. This sounds a bit
complicated I know. It seems to me that we would want at least a
"stdout" available to the procedure so that it can "talk to" the user.
If we provide stdin, stdout and stderr, then we could use redirection
to pipe input to and from a procedure.

Ocie Mitchell