Re: CREATE USER

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE USER
Date: 2011-12-10 03:21:17
Lists: pgsql-docs
Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> I just notice that when you create a user using CREATE USER and give
> the user the ability to create other users it gets created as
> SUPERUSER.

Are you talking about the CREATEUSER option?  That is documented, quite
clearly I think:

	CREATEUSER
	NOCREATEUSER

	These clauses are an obsolete, but still accepted, spelling of
	SUPERUSER and NOSUPERUSER. Note that they are not equivalent to
	CREATEROLE as one might naively expect!

The only way we could really make this any better is to remove these
keywords, which might be something to consider.  The preferred SUPERUSER
spelling has been accepted since 8.1 ... is that long enough to ensure
everyone's converted their client-side tools?  Probably not :-(