Cursor names

From: Nathaniel Trellice <naptrel(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Cursor names
Date: 2010-01-11 10:11:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,

I'm using a cursor to read query results a few rows at a time. The syntax I'm using to 'create' the cursor is:

DECLARE <cursor name> BINARY CURSOR FOR SELECT [rest of query];

followed by calls to

FETCH FORWARD <num rows> FROM <cursor name>

and everything's working nicely.

My DB has multiple clients each of which may have multiple connections open the the DB (the client app is threaded), all making cursored queries simultaneously.

So my question is: what are the constraints on <cursor name>? Must each cursor name be unique amongst all declared cursors from all clients, or just unique within a single connection from a single client, or something else?

Nathaniel