Re: BUG #4763: postgres service unstable, even during install

From: Kevin Field <kevinjamesfield(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4763: postgres service unstable, even during install
Date: 2009-05-02 16:09:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On May 1, 12:41 pm, Kevin Field <kevinjamesfi(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2:08 pm, dp(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)pgadmin(dot)org (Dave Page) wrote:

> > > I just had an idea--at least in the ActiveState distributions (not
> > > sure about Strawberry or Vanilla) they include versioned-filename
> > > binaries. So you can launch perl5.8.8.exe or perl5.10.0.exe and as
> > > long as it's in the path you get the exact right one. (As I found out
> > > when I went to try to figure out per-user paths, I somehow have both
> > > versions in the universal path.) Would that help?
>
> > No, because we use the DLLs, not the .exe. But they do seem to be
> > versioned anyway, so there must be something else going on :-(
>
> :( Well on my end, I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to
> see the right version. Do you know when the next beta or win32
> installer build might be out so I can try again?

Through some testing today I determined:

1) the installer decides on whether you have Perl / where it is before
the first opportunity to click 'back', so, right at the beginning.
2) if I rename my Perl 5.8 directory--whether or not I rename my Perl
5.10 directory--the installer cannot find it and does not present pl/
perl[u] as an option a few Next-clicks later.
3) if I rename my Perl 5.10 directory to where I had had my Perl 5.8
directory, it's still not presented as an option

So...what, is it insisting on perl58.dll at the beginning of the
install and then perl510.dll when it goes to actually use it? Let's
see...i'll rename things back (so it'll be an option), select the pl/
perl options, and then rename the directories before clicking 'next'.
Result: same errors when it goes to activate plperl and plperlu. I
guess not.