Re: BUG #14825: enum type: unsafe use?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, Christophe Pettus <christophe(dot)pettus(at)pgexperts(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #14825: enum type: unsafe use?
Date: 2017-09-26 17:18:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> OK, that seems to be the consensus. So let's apply the blacklist patch
>> and then separately remove the 'created in the same transaction' test.
>> We'll need to adjust the regression tests and docs accordingly.

> Agreed. I'll work on that in a little bit.

Pushed; sorry for the delay.

I noticed that the blacklist mechanism effectively removed the prohibition
against using a renamed enum value later in the same transaction, so I
added a regression test for that. Also, as committed, I used RENAME TYPE
rather than ALTER OWNER in the test cases requiring an updated pg_type
row. That way we don't need to create a role, even a transient one, which
is a good thing in terms of not risking collisions with other sessions.