Serial / auto increment data type

From: Typing80wpm(at)aol(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Serial / auto increment data type
Date: 2005-04-27 16:43:52
Lists: pgsql-general

I am just beginning to teach myself Postgresql and Access. I notice that PG
has the "serial" type of field which increments automatically. I notice
that when I do external links in Access through ODBC, that Access wants a field
or fields which will be unique.

Here is my question. Would I be wise to define each and ever table with a
serial id, so that I may always be guaranteed something uniqe, to satisfy
Access. It seems to me like no harm can be done, since if you dont need the
serial id, you dont need it, but it is always there if you do need it, and it is
harder to add such a field down the line, after the fact.

Thanks!