AlterTableCreateToastTable API still not right for pg_migrator

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: AlterTableCreateToastTable API still not right for pg_migrator
Date: 2009-06-11 19:36:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I just started reading the pg_migrator source code, and I notice that
we still didn't get AlterTableCreateToastTable's API right for
pg_migrator's usage. It needs to be exposing an option to force
a particular OID for the toast table. The way pg_migrator is handling
that now is both ugly and unsafe, and it's really pretty silly when the
underlying create_toast_table() function is perfectly capable of being
told what we want it to do.

There's still time to fix this before RC1. I propose adding
"Oid toastOid" to AlterTableCreateToastTable's arguments, with
the semantics that if it's not InvalidOid then we attempt to create
the toast table with that OID.