Re: [HACKERS] pid file for postmaster?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pid file for postmaster?
Date: 1999-11-24 06:33:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> It would be nice if postmaster has its own pid file to send signals to
> it. I think the pid file could be placed under $PGDATA. Opinions?

Yes, that's been discussed before, and I think it's even got an entry
on the TODO list. If you've got time to tackle it now, great!

$PGDATA seems like the right place to put the file, since we can only
have one active postmaster at a time in a database directory.

I assume you'll also create a script that sends SIGTERM or other
requested signal to the postmaster, using this file?