Re: Postgres 8.3.5 - ECPG and the use of descriptors and cursors in multi-threaded programs

From: Leif Jensen <leif(at)crysberg(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres 8.3.5 - ECPG and the use of descriptors and cursors in multi-threaded programs
Date: 2011-05-30 09:36:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello Bosco,

Thank you for your comment. Yes, it would be nice to get some more comments on the allocate/deallocate on a connection issue.

I have verified that in my case deallocating a prepared statement, it guesses the wrong connection and returns an error. (The right one is doing auto-deallocation at disconnect time, though).

However, I just noticed that allocating a descriptor with the "AT <connection>" clause,
EXEC SQL AT :_thisDbConn ALLOCATE DESCRIPTOR :descname;
generates an ECPGallocate_desc() call without any connection name and that this can "screw up" the ECPGget_desc() function when guessing a connection. I could of course use:
EXEC SQL SET CONNECTION <connection name>;
before the allocate, but that would need mutex's all over to make sure that other threads will not set the connection too.

Any idea why the ecpg pre-compiler doesn't use the named connection for the ALLOCATE DESCRIPTOR statement even though it allows it ?

Please help,

Leif