Re: inverse OR distributive law?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: inverse OR distributive law?
Date: 2005-09-15 03:04:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> * process_duplicate_ors
> * Given a list of exprs which are ORed together, try to apply
> * the inverse OR distributive law.

> Anybody enlighten what "inverse OR distributive law" is?

Well, it's defined right above that:

* The following code attempts to apply the inverse OR distributive law:
* ((A AND B) OR (A AND C)) => (A AND (B OR C))
* That is, locate OR clauses in which every subclause contains an
* identical term, and pull out the duplicated terms.

I'm not sure that "inverse OR distributive law" is standard terminology,
but I believe the implication in the other direction is usually called
the "OR distributive law". Anyone know of better terminology?