Re: [HACKERS] I feel the need for speed. What am I doing wrong?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
Cc: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] I feel the need for speed. What am I doing wrong?
Date: 2003-01-07 03:15:33
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

"Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com> writes:
> Yikes! Five times slower! But then I took Tom's incredibly helpful
> suggestion to disable the sequential scan:

Ideally, you shouldn't have to do that. Now that you have the correct
indexes in place, could you show us the EXPLAIN ANALYZE output for both
cases (enable_seqscan = on and off)?

Also, you might try leaving enable_seqscan = on, and seeing how far you
have to decrease random_page_cost to get the planner to choose
indexscan.