Re: client connection problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: nickf(at)ontko(dot)com
Cc: "Rasmus Mohr" <rmo(at)Netpointers(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: client connection problem
Date: 2002-01-16 15:51:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Nick Fankhauser" <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com> writes:
> Try adding a line to pg_hba.conf for localhost specifically- I'd guess that
> the request is coming in with that address rather than the local machine's
> IP address.

Another possibility is that the connection request is being dropped on
the floor by kernel packet filtering. The default filtering in RH 7.2
is pretty aggressive (just the other day I had to change quite a few
things to get it to allow incoming and outgoing NFS, for example).
Check your ipchains setup in /etc/sysconfig/ipchains.

IIRC, the default ipchains setup does *not* filter localhost
connections, but I think it would apply to connections showing a source
address of your Ethernet IP.