Re: Proof of concept COLLATE support with patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proof of concept COLLATE support with patch
Date: 2005-09-04 23:15:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think it would be best if we defined an internal API for plugging in
> various kinds of locale support.

Agreed ...

> Then you can hook in this
> "newlocale", the Windows variant, ICU, or plain-old POSIX locale
> support for backward compatibility.

If plain old POSIX actually did what we needed, we likely wouldn't be
having this discussion at all. POSIX doesn't give us enough visibility
of the locale's properties (in particular, which character set encoding
it wants). The performance penalties it imposes are pretty bad also,
though arguably secondary.