Re: dump 7.3 into 7.2?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Russ Schneider <russ(at)sugapablo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dump 7.3 into 7.2?
Date: 2003-12-27 04:09:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Russ Schneider <russ(at)sugapablo(dot)com> writes:
> I need to transfer a dump from a psql 7.3 database to a 7.2 database.
> Is there any way to do this?

You will have to do some manual hacking on the schema declarations,
almost certainly. I'd recommend dumping the schema and data separately
so that the schema file is small enough to edit manageably. Once you
have a schema that loads into the 7.2 database, the data should follow
easily.

[ tries, and fails, to avoid making this comment... ] Your time would
probably be more profitably invested on updating the 7.2 installation
to 7.3. See the 7.3 release notes for reasons why.