Re: pgAgent Windows service startup time

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Dmitry Samokhin <sdld(at)mail(dot)ru>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAgent Windows service startup time
Date: 2009-09-17 12:10:47
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 8:03 AM, Dmitry Samokhin <sdld(at)mail(dot)ru> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The first time I tried to setup the pgAgent job scheduler on Windows I was
> wondered the service couldn't start for a very long time. Further
> investigation shown that the 'poll time interval' executable parameter (-t)
> affects startup time. Moreover, startup time directly reflects this
> parameter. At first, I set (-t 600) meaning I want the pgAgent poll my
> server ones every 10 minutes. Having sent the 'start' control to the service
> I had at last to kill the process, because it was remaining in the
> 'Starting' state for several minutes. But leaving the '-t' parameter to
> default (10 seconds) caused the service to start exactly in 10 seconds! And
> so on.
> I doubt it's a feature; what if I want to poll a PostgreSQL server every
> day? pgAgent will be starting during a whole day?

I'll assume you've realised that setting the poll time to 600 means
that jobs will run up to 10 minutes late?

Regardless of that, you are correct that this behaviour is
undesirable. Please try the replacement binary at
http://uploads.enterprisedb.com/download.php?file=624b234667456b2208548393c6a03ae3.
I'll commit the fix to SVN for the next release.

--
Dave Page