Re: EDB taking over?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: EDB taking over?
Date: 2009-07-08 16:24:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 7/8/09, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Andreas Pflug wrote:
>
>> But there's also the aspect that the postgres download page for Windows,
>> Linux and MacOSX will redirect to an EDB page, which really was the
>> first thing that irritated me (forgot to mention). Why is that so, why
>> not a postgres page? Do we want/need EDB to officially host postgres
>> stuff, esp with PostgreSQL listed as one of EDB's featured products?
>
> Right. We have a working mirror system. Why aren't the one-click
> packages hosted there?

Because, when we first discussed the one-click installers with
community members at pgcon last year, a number of ppl said they felt
the downloads should remain on our site so it was blatantly clear
where they came from.

Thus, we invested in Akamai services to host the downloads at the best
possible speed for users, allowing them to avoid choosing from a list
of mirrors with un-predictable connectivity speeds.

--
Dave Page