Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Rainer Bauer <usenet(at)munnin(dot)com>
Cc: Miles Elam <mileselam(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook
Date: 2009-06-23 09:40:16
Lists: pgadmin-support
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Rainer Bauer<usenet(at)munnin(dot)com> wrote:

> [... downloads and peeks at ~\pgadmin3-1.8.4\pgadmin\ui\*.xrc ...]
> What I find a little bit "strange" is that the dialog elements are
> not positioned using sizer elements, but instead every single control
> is specified with an absolute coordinate. But maybe this has
> historical reasons?

It did - but if you look at the 1.10 source, you should see sizers
used in pretty much every dialogue now. It took Guillaume and I
(mainly Guillaume) a *significant* amount of time to work out all the
platform-specific kinks.

> DP> If you had, you'd never suggest trying to offer multiple layouts :-)
>
> This would only affect a couple of dialogs. And loading a different
> resource depending on the screen resolution should be trivial.

Oh, yeah - that's certainly true.

> DP> Technically, yes, it would be a solution, but I doubt anyone will have
> DP> the patience to implement it.
>
> There is one thing that I found while looking at the resources: The OP
> said the table creation dialog did not fit on his 1024x600 screen. But
> on my XP SP3 machine this dialog is only 556 pixel high.

In my experience GTK widgets tend to be larger than Windows or Mac

--
Dave Page