Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

From: Rainer Bauer <usenet(at)munnin(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Miles Elam <mileselam(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook
Date: 2009-06-23 09:31:24
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello Dave,

DP> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Rainer Bauer<usenet(at)munnin(dot)com> wrote:

>> What I usually do in these cases is using a different layout depending
>> on the screen resolution. For 99,x % of all users the dialogs would stay
>> the way they are now and for the netbook users they would fit on
>> screen.

DP> My guess is that you never tried to get wxWidgets XRC dialogues to
DP> look exactly as you wanted.

In my experience they work as they should.

[... downloads and peeks at ~\pgadmin3-1.8.4\pgadmin\ui\*.xrc ...]
What I find a little bit "strange" is that the dialog elements are
not positioned using sizer elements, but instead every single control
is specified with an absolute coordinate. But maybe this has
historical reasons?

DP> If you had, you'd never suggest trying to offer multiple layouts :-)

This would only affect a couple of dialogs. And loading a different
resource depending on the screen resolution should be trivial.

DP> Technically, yes, it would be a solution, but I doubt anyone will have
DP> the patience to implement it.

There is one thing that I found while looking at the resources: The OP
said the table creation dialog did not fit on his 1024x600 screen. But
on my XP SP3 machine this dialog is only 556 pixel high.

So it seems the OP has specified a different DPI setting via
Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > General > Display

Miles, can you confirm that the DPI setting is at 96 DPI?

Rainer