Re: problems with win32 enterprisedb 8.3.6 ssl=on

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problems with win32 enterprisedb 8.3.6 ssl=on
Date: 2009-02-23 08:44:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 7:55 AM, raf <raf(at)raf(dot)org> wrote:
> hi,
>
> i've been getting nonsensical error messages all day with
> postgres 8.3 on winxpsp3. i tried upgrading to 8.3.6
> (enterprisedb) and fresh installs.

Please clarify what you have done. You cannot upgrade from PostgreSQL
to EnterpriseDB (Postgres Plus Advanced Server) without a dump/reload
of your data as they are different DBMSs with differences in the data
format.

If you mean that you tried to update an installation of the community
installer with the one-click installer *packaged* by EnterpriseDB,
then that is also not supported as the one-click installer uses
integer datetimes which the community one does not (an error on my
part that's somewhat difficult to correct now). That would not account
for the errors you are seeing though.

If you have switched installer, I would first start by uninstalling
entirely. None of the uninstallers should remove the data directory,
but take a backup first to be sure anyway. Then, install the latest
build of whichever package you originally installed, reusing the
existing data directory. If continue to see the errors you noted when
you've done this, make sure the data directory is owned by the user
the server runs as, or at least has full control of it and it's
contents.

--
Dave Page