Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?
Date: 2009-02-10 08:39:09
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 1:33 AM, Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com> wrote:
> I've been working on updating pgAdmin to support the Greenplum database (www.greenplum.com).
>
> I'm wondering if the pgAdmin project would want to accept changes to add Greenplum support, or if I should just branch and have my own pgAdmin that is special for Greenplum (gpAdmin ?).
>
> I've been making this change in a way that doesn't affect PostgreSQL support or EDB support, but only shows the new functionality if connected to a Greenplum database system. But there is quite a bit to the change, as Greenplum has many features not in standard PostgreSQL.

Hi Chuck,

I discussed this with Scott Yara (perhaps 18 months ago now) and we
agreed that we'd aim to include any Greenplum changes, provided they
don't affect the PG or EDB support (not a problem from what you say),
and that they weren't so invasive that they'd cause us maintenance
problems having to work around code that most of us probably couldn't
test or exercise properly.

I'm still happy for us to do that as it was always hoped that pgAdmin
could be used by PostgreSQL derivatives (in fact, that's why we chose
the Artistic licence, and the reason for features such as the runtime
rebranding). My main concern at the moment is that we're pretty close
to beta and I'll need to find review time for any new code.

Can you post your patches ASAP so we can see how large they are and
how much work will be involved?

--
Dave Page