Re: The encoding problem of a server log.

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The encoding problem of a server log.
Date: 2009-01-18 11:03:21
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp> wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> Although pgAdmin has the check display of a server log, it has a problem.
> This problem exists on extension of the problem which a Postgres server
> has. Then, It is very difficult to solve this problem immediately.:(
>
> The character code of the message text as a log to a translation result is
> unsettled. Therefore, this problem as which a log is not displayed by
> pgAdmin will correspond after it.
> ex.)
> (Include Shuft_JIS)
> http://winpg.jp/~saito/pgAdmin/postgresql-2009-01-18_001837.log
> (log is not displayed.)
> http://winpg.jp/~saito/pgAdmin/20090118_ServerLog1.png

Yuck.

> at the fource patch.
> ==
> str = line + wxTextBuffer::Translate(wxString(raw, set->GetConversion()),
> wxTextFileType_Unix);
> str = line + wxString(wxString(raw,wxConvLibc),wxConvUTF8);
> ==
> http://winpg.jp/~saito/pgAdmin/20090118_ServerLog2.png

Well, that's an improvement.

> But,but but... log is not displayed....
> (log is Include Shift_JIS and UTF-8)
> http://winpg.jp/~saito/pgAdmin/postgresql-2009-01-18_020238.log

Can we at least detect the problem and warn the user? It might be
useful to provide a 'save log' button to allow the user to save the
raw log locally for further examination using other tools.

Also, note that I suggested to Guillaume (who is working on frmStatus)
that we should replace the listview used for the log with a text
control. That may be able to display the messed up encodings more
usefully.

> I consider the proposal of log_encoding(GUC) for the purpose of ver 8.5 or
> over. However, adjustment is now difficult.... much time is needed for it.
> Therefore, I wish to recognize this problem as TODO. or, are there some
> ideas?

Only the workaround above (which I think we should consider now) :-(

--
Dave Page