Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Stefan Kaltenbrunner" <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org
Date: 2008-06-10 07:58:40
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> wrote:

>> I would not like to add a direct dependency on the pgfoundry database,
>> given the track record that pgfoundry has for uptime.

Yeah - what's the status on that new server JD?

>> I'd like to see some kind of RSS feed, because we already deal with
>> caching of them there. That way, the main website will survive the
>> regular pgfoundry outages (at worst it'll cache an empty file, and leave
>> the pgfoundry list empty).
>
> yeah - rss feed is the way to go if we want this

Agreed.

>> Oh, and you need to figure out a way to integrate it nicely: see thread
>> of a couple of days ago about adding more stuff to the frontpage. (No, I
>> don't think mergeing it it with the "main news" functionality is a good
>> idea - at least not unless we moderate it...)
>
> iirc the pgfoundry main page news are already moderated - but we would still
> have to find a solution to the integration problem.

I'm not convinced that merging them is such a hot idea anyway. It will
likely seriously reduce the amount of time any announcement gets front
page time which will in turn reduce the usefulness of the section.
Further, we then have a potential problem ensuring we don't get
duplicate items when one gets approved on www and subsequently on
pgFoundry. That of course, applies whether we merge the feed with the
existing news, or add it as a new section (ignoring the layout issues
that would involve!)

--
Dave Page