Re: archives.postgresql.org change

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, w^3 <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: archives.postgresql.org change
Date: 2008-02-24 09:42:45
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> > Uhh... this has been being talking about for *months*.
>
> Really? I've missed that completely.

Yeah, me too. I know we were aiming to upgrade svr5, but don't recall
any chatter about moving the archives generation. Marc normally just
moves VMs to a FreeBSD 6 host and upgrades them.

> I understand perfectly well what you did. But we've seen *a lot* of
> cases before when moving one of these platform independent programs
> (like mhonarc, which is written in perl IIRC) between Linux and FreeBSD
> and get significantly different behaviour.

Yeah - case in point - the new archives system I've been working on.
Works fine on Linux, on FreeBSD PHP core dumps and occasionally throws
mysterious out of memory errors and ignores the remaining messages in
an mbox.

> AFAIK, we also had a bunch of customizations in mhonarc - did those get
> migrated over, or are we now running a stock mhonarc?

Yeah, I'm not sure what they all were, but I do remember Marc spending
a bunch of time hacking stuff around on Oleg & John's advice to
optimise the way Google & other search engine index the archives. I
don't know if all that customisation is stuff that can be rsync'd.

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company