Re: performance issues on windows with 8.3.0?

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Dan Armbrust" <daniel(dot)armbrust(dot)list(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: performance issues on windows with 8.3.0?
Date: 2008-02-15 08:33:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Dan Armbrust
<daniel(dot)armbrust(dot)list(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
> > You must have enabled the debugger when you installed (or didn't
> > disable it). You can turn it back off in postgresql.conf if you like -
> > there may be a little overhead.
>
> I see this in the postgresql.conf file:
> shared_preload_libraries = '$libdir/plugins/plugin_debugger.dll' #
> (change requires restart)

Yup, just set it blank and restart.

> I didn't turn that on, perhaps I missed it in the installer, or it
> defaults to on in the installer. I commented it out, and now my
> performance on 8.3 on windows is in line with what I am seeing with
> 8.2.6 on windows. That is a lot of overhead, when a connection is
> made (I realize I shouldn't be making connections this often - but I
> wonder if the overhead is only at connection time, or if there is
> other overhead as well)

I'm surprised there's so much overhead, but not that there is some.
Any runtime overhead will be in pl/pgsql functions so if you're not
using any, you won't see any difference once connected.

> > However, the fact that it keeps appearing implies you're using lots of
> > new (short-lived?) connections. That's particularly expensive on
> > Windows - consider a connection pooler, of if you're using something
> > like php, persistent connections.
> >
> Your right, my connections are dropping off left and right. My
> performance on windows is about 75% slower than the performance on
> linux. It appears that I'm currently dropping connections on both
> windows and linux. Does that fall in line with your expectation that
> creating connections on windows is particularly expensive?

I couldn't quote a figure, but I'm not surprised it's noticeably slower.

> I'll go figure out why on earth my connections are getting killed and
> recreated by the pooling layers.

Sounds like a good plan :-)

--
Dave Page