Re: msvcr80.dll and PostgreSQL 8.3 under Windows XP

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: "Hermann Muster" <Hermann(dot)Muster(at)gmx(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: msvcr80.dll and PostgreSQL 8.3 under Windows XP
Date: 2008-02-04 16:53:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Feb 4, 2008 3:38 PM, Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> It seems that MSVCR80.dll is not registered to InstallFinalize on the problem of the timing of an installer.
> It is not found at the time of initdb. Therefore, please before install this.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&DisplayLang=en
>
> The adjustment of Installer may be necessity. It must consider many situations. However, The solution
> method was not found even in MSDN....It seems that what is used in the middle of install can't be execute.
>
> to Dave.
> Did you already find the solution method?

I haven't been looking for one. One of my standard tests when
releasing a new version is to try an iinstall on a clean copy of XP.
I've just re-tested that to be sure and I see the installer copying
the runtimes, and everything works just fine afterwards.

As an additional test, I tried to execute a copy of psql.exe. Before
running the installer it simply exited with 'The system cannot execute
the specified program' (which is the normal message if the runtimes
cannot be found), but after I ran the installer, the same copy of psql
popped up a message box saying it couldn't find an SSL library (to be
expected - I didn't copy it) - that tells me it could then find the
runtimes.

So, is there some reason the runtimes might not install in non-English
versions of Windows? We're using the Windows Installer merge module as
per Microsoft's recommendations.

Regards, Dave.