Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Setting up for Press Contacts inSE Asia

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Setting up for Press Contacts inSE Asia
Date: 2008-01-29 15:51:27
Lists: pgsql-www

On Jan 29, 2008 3:41 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> > Right - but that detail is buried in the messages I can't find. Please
> > recap on what exactly Josh is trying to do.
>
> Right now I have a private database on one of my machines, which does 2
> things:
>
> 1) Track and generate the Regional Contacts page;
> 2) Track all North America press contacts and spam them
>
> It's really a bad idea to have this only on one of my machines, which is on
> the end of a DSL line and has a previous history of power supply issues. For
> one thing, it keeps me from meaningfully training Robert or Magnus or you
> from being able to take over for me if food poisoning brings me down.

OK, that makes a lot more sense (btw, we need to look at these lists
again - apparently I'm not the only one missing parts of this thread,
though not necessarily the same parts as others :-o ).

It seems to me there is a legitimate reason to keep the data on the
wwwmaster database (and to create some proper PHP scripts for admin
and the RC page in the future), and for you to have a shell account to
manage it in the meantime via ssh/ssh tunnel. The spam scripts can
most definitely stay on svr1, and the temporary script to generate the
RC page can be run on Yridian (when it's ready or elsewhere in the
meantime. Alternatively, the RC page can be manually updated.

I'd still rather not have direct access to the database server.

/D