Re: pgAdmin III Query Tool bug

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Andrew <archa(at)pacific(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: "Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III Query Tool bug
Date: 2008-01-08 09:13:23
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

On 08/01/2008, Andrew <archa(at)pacific(dot)net(dot)au> wrote:
> Excellent,
>
> Thanks Hiroshi Saito, that worked a treat, I really appreciate you
> posting those images. Apologies for taking up your time for something I
> probably could have figured out by RTFM.

Yes, thanks Hiroshi (our resident encoding guru :-) ).

> However, IMHO I still think it is a defect, in that it shouldn't really
> be saving a 0 byte file silently, when you think it has successfully
> saved your changes, and then when you go back to the file you find the
> data you have worked on is lost. If it is in a mode not to support the
> characters, then it should alert you that it cannot save those
> characters. However, I will leave that for the development team to
> decide if it is defective behaviour or behaviour by design.

Absolutely agree. Hiroshi; we do something similar in frmExport:

if (rbUnicode->GetValue())
file.Write(line, wxConvUTF8);
else
{
buf = line.mb_str(wxConvLibc);
if (!buf)
skipped++;
else
file.Write(line, wxConvLibc);
}

(we then warn the user if skipped > 0). Would something similar
suffice do you think?

/D