Re: Schemas to Search_path

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Subbiah, Stalin" <SSubbiah(at)netopia(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Schemas to Search_path
Date: 2005-03-10 00:57:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Subbiah, Stalin" <SSubbiah(at)netopia(dot)com> writes:
> I logged into foodb as foo user and tried to create a table. Bang!
> ERROR: no schema has been selected to create in. search_path had $user,
> public the default ones, shouldn't the table get created in user's
> authorized schema.

Which one?

Now, if you make the schema name the same as the user name, it will do
what you want --- that's what the $user is for. If you want some other
schema that happens to belong to that user to be the default, you have
to adjust the normal value of search_path. (See ALTER USER SET if you'd
like that adjustment to be done for you automatically at each login.)