Re: Proposal for Null Bitmap Optimization(for TrailingNULLs)

From: "Gokulakannan Somasundaram" <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers list" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal for Null Bitmap Optimization(for TrailingNULLs)
Date: 2007-12-18 19:17:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hi,
I have currently completed the following
a) If there are only trailing nulls in the heap, no null-bitmap gets stored
b) If there are trailing nulls in addition to nulls inbetween values in the
heap, then the trailing nulls are not added to the null-bitmap. I wouldn't
have done it, but it came almost free of cost
c) If there are only trailing nulls in the index, no null-bitmap gets stored

The index part gave some issues and i hope i have fixed it. i am still
testing it(feeling sleepy :)). So i will post the patch, as soon as i
complete testing.

Thanks,
Gokul.

--