Re: Proposal for Null Bitmap Optimization(for TrailingNULLs)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Gokulakannan Somasundaram" <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers list" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal for Null Bitmap Optimization(for TrailingNULLs)
Date: 2007-12-18 21:15:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Gokulakannan Somasundaram" <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I have currently completed the following
> a) If there are only trailing nulls in the heap, no null-bitmap gets stored
> b) If there are trailing nulls in addition to nulls inbetween values in the
> heap, then the trailing nulls are not added to the null-bitmap. I wouldn't
> have done it, but it came almost free of cost
> c) If there are only trailing nulls in the index, no null-bitmap gets stored

> The index part gave some issues and i hope i have fixed it.

I doubt you have fixed it; I doubt it's *possible* to fix it without
significant rejiggering of IndexTuple representation. The problem is
that IndexTuple lacks a number-of-fields field, so there is no place
to indicate how many null bitmap bits you have actually stored.
I would suggest forgetting that part and submitting the part that
has some chance of getting accepted.