Re: pgindent

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgindent
Date: 2011-04-10 16:11:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
>> Note that in the last one someone carefully made the variable names
>> line up and pgindent is changing the spacing to an arbitrary amount.

> Well, it's the same arbitrary amount that we use throughout our code,
> presumably. I am not sure whether pgident is the best tool for the
> job, but at least it makes the code relatively consistent throughout,
> which is mostly a good thing.

Yes. pgindent has never been about preserving somebody else's idea
of what's appropriate formatting. This is sometimes bad but on the
whole it seems to be a win.

What I was a bit surprised by is the volume of changes in wparser_def.c
--- so far as I can see, that file hardly changed since 9.0, so why did
pgindent suddenly whack it around so much? The other files that changed
a lot are mostly new code so widespread changes are unsurprising.