should the postgres user have a password?

From: "Anton Melser" <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: should the postgres user have a password?
Date: 2007-06-07 18:00:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
I have never given postgres a password before, but one of my clients
put one on his postgres user - I suppose so he could use the postgres
user from phppgadmin (not my choice !).
But now I can't see how to get my backup scripts to work... can I put
the password for tools like pg_dumpall (or psql, or whatever) on the
CL. There is no option in the docs...
Would it be better to remove the password (if so, any pointers, I
couldn't find that either!) and make postgres only able to connect via
pipes?
Thanks again,
Anton
ps. I did google but obviously couldn't find the right combo of keywords...