Re: savepoint improvements

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: savepoint improvements
Date: 2007-01-20 04:33:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I suspect the savepoint command is almost never used
> outside of oracle compatibility efforts.

Last I heard, we implemented it because it is in the SQL standard.
I have no idea (nor do I much care) whether it's oracle-compatible.

> BEGIN;
> SAVEPOINT X;
> COMMIT ON ERRORS SELECT FOO();

> --or--

> BEGIN;
> SAVEPOINT x;
> SAVEPOINT y ON ERRORS SELECT FOO; -- (or ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT x);
> COMMIT;

> comments? fast track to todo list? :-)

Not exactly. You haven't even made clear what you think that means,
let alone how it would be implemented. What context is foo() supposed
to be executed in? What happens if it fails?