Re: Theory of operation of collation patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Theory of operation of collation patch
Date: 2011-03-08 15:15:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 07.03.2011 17:43, Tom Lane wrote:
>> because two expressions that are equal() must necessarily have the same collation
>> property.

> Peter, Tom,

> I am not able to see this.

> If 'abc' == 'abc' is not collation depending at all. It is only
> encoding depending.

Sorry, I was using a term of art there. This isn't about data values,
it's about parsed expression trees. See the equal() function in
src/backend/nodes/equalfuncs.c. If two expression trees match according
to equal(), then they must necessarily have the same collation property,
because equal() compares all the fields and in particular the collation
fields.