Re: Beginner question: Hacking environment?

From: Adrian von Bidder <avbidder(at)fortytwo(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: Beginner question: Hacking environment?
Date: 2011-03-08 15:17:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Tuesday 08 March 2011 15.39:56 Kevin Grittner wrote:

> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ

thanks

> If you still have questions, be sure to mention your OS.

Sorry, forgot. Linux.

The "Basic system testing" item is where I'm kinda stuck. You advise to
"perform run time testing via psql." Which is a bit short, since obviously
psql can't be directly started since there is no installation...

Aagain, my question: are there wrappers/helpers to do this easily from the
source/compile tree? Like: set up PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PG_WHATEVER, call
initdb, ...

Or do you advise to just "make install" and test from there?

thanks
-- vbi

--
[...] if you have to do the occasional model for Japanese collectors,
which are covered in reticulated ostrich testicle leather, then by all