Re: [GENERAL] psql : Error: Cannot stat /pgdata/8.2/main

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joost Kraaijeveld <J(dot)Kraaijeveld(at)Askesis(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] psql : Error: Cannot stat /pgdata/8.2/main
Date: 2007-06-13 13:45:52
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Joost Kraaijeveld <J(dot)Kraaijeveld(at)Askesis(dot)nl> writes:
> I have moved my database files from their default location to their own
> partition on with their own controller and disks. PostgreSQL works OK
> and I can connect with Pgadmin (Debian Lenny AMD64, PostgreSQL 8.2.4).

> When I want to connect with psql however (with a non-root account) I get
> the following:

> panoramix:~$ psql -d my_database
> Error: Cannot stat /pgdata/8.2/main

> /pgdata/8.2/main is the location where the database files are actually
> located.

psql itself has no business touching the database directory, and a quick
search of the source code shows no instance of "Cannot stat" anywhere in
released PG sources.

I think you are being burnt by some misbehavior of Debian's wrapper
patches, and a complaint directed there is the next step for you.