Re: [HACKERS] BlowAwayRelationBuffers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] BlowAwayRelationBuffers
Date: 2000-01-12 08:24:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com> writes:
> Hmmm, I got the following this morning on version 6.5.2 on DEC Alpha
> during a vacuum verbose analyze. Ended up with duplicate rows of
> everything.

Really!? The referencecount failure doesn't surprise me a whole lot,
given the refcount bugs that I fixed a couple months ago (no, those
fixes are not in 6.5.* :-(). But VACUUM is supposed to be guaranteed
proof against generating duplicate tuples by design --- that's what
all the HEAP_MOVED_OFF and HEAP_MOVED_IN foofaraw is about.

Perhaps there is a glitch in the tuple validity checking logic for
HEAP_MOVED_OFF/HEAP_MOVED_IN? Anyone see it?

Given that this was on an Alpha, it could be a 64-bit-platform-
dependency kind of bug...