Re: Server not listening

From: George Heller <george(dot)heller(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: rod(at)iol(dot)ie
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server not listening
Date: 2007-04-24 13:45:33
Lists: pgadmin-support

My XP machine is not in the same subnet as the server, but I have the IP address of my XP machine specified in the pg_hba.conf file. Is that not enough to let me access the database from my XP machine?

I am able to do an SSH from my XP machine to the server, and also can access psql using it.

I am also able to ping from my XP machine to the server, and this goes through fine.

George

Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie> wrote:
On 24/04/2007 06:43, George Heller wrote:

> Ok, I tried a telnet from the command prompt of my XP machine, to the
> linux server address on port 5432, something like,
>
> C:\> telnet 132.141.101.1 5432
>
> And this did 'not' go through. It said could not open connection to
> host, connect failed.

Well, this sounds like a network problem, as others have suggested.
Check that your XP machine and the machine with the PostgreSQL server
are on the same subnet, or are otherwise able to talk to each other. Are
you able to use telnet or ssh to open a terminal session from one to the
other? Did you try using psql to connect to the DBMS?

Ray.

rod(at)iol(dot)ie

Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.