Re: Dead code in _bt_split?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dead code in _bt_split?
Date: 2007-02-06 14:56:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> OK, would you please send a patch to remove the unused code. Thanks.

> Ok, here you are.

Applied with an added comment and Assert.

While testing it I realized that there seems to be a nearby bug in
_bt_findsplitloc: it fails to consider the possibility of moving all the
extant items to the left side. It will always return a firstright <=
maxoff. ISTM this would mean that it could choose a bad split if the
incoming item goes at the end and both it and the last extant item are
large: in this case they should be split apart, but they won't be.

Heikki, do you feel like looking at that, or shall I?