Re: strange regression failure

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: strange regression failure
Date: 2004-12-15 21:41:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Has anyone got any idea on why I see things like this from time to time?
> It seems to be intermittent, which is odd.

I have a suspicion that the unexpected result occurs when the client
encoding is UTF8, because psql/mbprint.c's ucs_wcwidth() function goes
belly up on control characters (which it probably shouldn't; for that
matter, that entire file should be removed and replaced with our real
multibyte support...).

What's not apparent is why the failure wouldn't be consistent. You'd
think the buildfarm would always run the test with the same encoding
selection. Any idea how that might not happen?