Re: NFS vs. PostgreSQL on Solaris

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Thomas F(dot) O'Connell" <tf(at)o(dot)ptimized(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NFS vs. PostgreSQL on Solaris
Date: 2007-04-30 21:28:08
Lists: pgsql-general

"Thomas F. O'Connell" <tf(at)o(dot)ptimized(dot)com> writes:
> On Apr 26, 2007, at 6:51 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> "Thomas F. O'Connell" <tf(at)o(dot)ptimized(dot)com> writes:
>>> 3. What would cause postgres to die from a signal 11?
>>> I've also got a core file if that's necessary for further forensics.
>>
>> Send gdb backtrace, please.

> Unfortunately, the production build in question is lacking --enable-
> debug. :(

Well, if it wasn't actually stripped then gdb could still get function
names out of it, which might or might not be enough but it's sure more
info than you provided so far.

If you built with gcc, then a possible plan B is to recompile with all
the same options plus --enable-debug, and hope that the resulting
executables are bit-for-bit the same except for addition of debug
symbols, so you could use them with the corefile. This theoretically
should work, if nothing has changed in your build environment, though
that assumption is obviously a bit shaky.