Re: Bug #829: 7.3 crashes when trying to set variable to default

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug #829: 7.3 crashes when trying to set variable to default
Date: 2002-12-02 04:48:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net> writes:
> Around 18:51 on Dec 1, 2002, Tom Lane said:
> # I can't reproduce it either (and I just finished trying it on OS X
> # 10.2.2, so it's not just a matter of a platform dependency).
> #
> # Dustin, we really need more info to proceed any further. How about a
> # stack backtrace?

> Well, I tried responding with what OS X gave me, but I'm not sure
> if it made it through the list:

After fooling with it a little more, I see a problem that is not quite
what you said, but I bet it's what you meant:

regression=# create user foo;
CREATE USER
regression=# alter user foo set search_path to default;
before or while processing the request.

You can also get this by doing

regression=# alter user foo reset all;
ALTER USER
regression=# alter user foo set search_path to default;
before or while processing the request.

but as far as I can tell it will *not* happen once you've assigned any
user settings to the user (ie, once the user's useconfig field is not
null).

ALTER DATABASE has the identical bug.

Ah, teething pains :-(