Re: SQL99 CREATE TABLE ... (LIKE parent_table)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL99 CREATE TABLE ... (LIKE parent_table)
Date: 2003-05-12 14:59:38
Lists: pgsql-patches

Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> Quick patch to add the subject. Restructures all inheritance to consist
> of a few flags to indicate which structures we want to inherit

I think overloading the inheritance mechanism to serve this purpose is a
bad idea. It complicates and confuses a significant amount of code
that's already pretty confusing (no, I don't believe you found it all).
It'd be better to have a localized bit of code that processes LIKE by
generating a ColumnDef schema list.

> Yes, I wish to add an option to allow check
> constraints to be carried over despite the below note from Sect. 11.3:

> NOTE 234 <column constraint>s, except for NOT NULL, are not included
> in NCi; <column constraint definition>s are effectively transformed to

Why is it a good idea to ignore the express requirement of the spec?
(I'm not saying it's not a good idea --- that note seems a little odd
to me too --- but presumably the spec writers had some reasons for
doing it that way. I'd like some justification for not doing it their
way.)