Re: auto truncate/vacuum full

From: JC Praud <brutaltruth42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: auto truncate/vacuum full
Date: 2009-10-28 10:53:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>wrote:

> JC Praud escribió:
>
> > So my question are: can the autovacuum daemon perform vacuum full ? Or
> > another internal postgres process ? Could it come from the TRUNCATE I run
> > and canceled 4 days before ?
>
> No. Autovacuum only issues commands that don't lock tables strongly. I
> doubt this has anything to do with your old TRUNCATE either. My guess
> is that somebody else ran TRUNCATE and forgot to tell you; or maybe an
> automatic external process (cron or some such).

I suspected that, too. And asked the ninjas we have here ;) I also checked
the vacuum cronjobs we have.
None performing full vacuum on this table.
If it was the case, I should have seen the query in the pg_log as a slow
query, I guess ?

Regards,

> --
> Alvaro Herrera
> http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

JC
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu n'gah Bill R'lyeh Wgah'nagl fhtagn!