Maximum realistic number of database user accounts?

From: "Greg Fausak" <lgfausak(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: lgfausak(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Maximum realistic number of database user accounts?
Date: 2008-02-14 17:16:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Howdy,

I find that user accounts are very good for
helping me protect application access to the database.
That is, instead of giving a user 1 account, I may give hem
10, and each of those accounts are restricted in the database
in different ways. Anyway, I'm wondering what the maximum number of
user accounts can
be in a postgres database?

Can I create a database with 1 million login roles and expect performance to
be good? 10 million?

Thanks,
-g

--