password problems

From: "Alexander James Spence [axs]" <axs(at)aber(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: password problems
Date: 2011-10-07 14:14:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi All,

We have updated our server to 9.1 the previous version used am external file for authentication (unix crypt), questions:

Can I continue to use this file if so how is it referenced in pg_hba.conf?

If I want to continue to use unix crypt passwords how do I get them into the database. I have seen references to crypt and gen_salt but cannot get these to work.

Regards,

Sandy Spence
Department of Computer Science
Aberystwyth University