Mounting file system for WAL on Solaris 10

From: runner <runner(at)winning(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Mounting file system for WAL on Solaris 10
Date: 2011-03-09 17:28:19
Lists: pgsql-general

PostgreSQL 9.0.3 on Solaris 10 Sparc

I have moved the WAL to a separate file system and set the forcedirectio option per popular recommendation. My question is this: As standard operating procedure in our shop, whenever we mount a UFS file system, we use the "logging" option. Is there any problem with mounting the WAL file system with both "logging" and "forcedirectio" options? In all the examples I've seen (and I've seen a lot) these two options are never used together.

I don't know enough about this area of sysadmin and I've already spent several hours google searching and reading up on this. There comes a time when you have to cut your losses and ask someone else.

Thank you,
Rick