Re: Weird characters saved in SQL file

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Charlie Clark <charlie(at)begeistert(dot)org>
Cc: Scott Sturgeon <sturgeon(at)nettwerk(dot)com>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Weird characters saved in SQL file
Date: 2007-09-22 19:30:45
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Sep 22, 2007, at 10:15 AM, Charlie Clark wrote:

> <EF><BB><BF> to be precise. Certainly confuses the shell, less does
> not recognise the file as a text file. I don't know whether this a
> cookie which associates the file with pgAdmin but I don't really
> think it's a bug.

I think what you are seeing is a unicode byte order mark (BOM):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_Order_Mark

I don't know what encoding pgAdmin is using, but if it is UTF-8 then
there is probably no reason to have it. Or at least there needs to be
preference to leave it out.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL