Re: PITR and tar

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR and tar
Date: 2007-05-08 15:25:58
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

On May 7, 2007, at 1:58 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:
> Second, it seems that it can cause a bad backup to occur if you
> pass the
> "z" option to tar. Instead, piping the output of tar through the
> compression program seems to avoid that problem (i.e. "tar cf - ... |
> gzip > ..."). I am using FreeBSD's tar, other implementations may be
> different.

What *exactly* are you seeing there? If anything -z should be safer
than piping through gzip, since you could easily accidentally pipe
stderr through gzip as well, which *would* corrupt the backup.

> Are my observations correct, and if so, should they be documented as a
> potential "gotcha" when making base backups?

I believe the bit about tar complaining about changed files is
already in there, no?
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net