Re: Sun acquires MySQL

From: "Gregory Williamson" <Gregory(dot)Williamson(at)digitalglobe(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Russ Brown" <pickscrape(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sun acquires MySQL
Date: 2008-01-16 15:28:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Joshua Drake shaped the electrons to say:

> Russ Brown wrote:
> > http://blogs.mysql.com/kaj/sun-acquires-mysql.html/
> >
> > What does this mean for Sun's support of Postgres?
> >

> Does it matter? :) I am sure OmniTI and Command Prompt will be
> happy to help any disgruntled customer :)

Well, in the past year or so Sun seemed to have been moving toward support of PostgreSQL and there was considerable traffic on Great And Subtle Things Beyond My Ken [Jignish Shah, I think, might be the name of the Sun engineer who was working on some issues]. If they own MySQL support for PostgreSQL might be reduced, and perhaps Oracle ? Hard to tell from the blog report. Sun might have some specific use for some aspect of MySQL, or maybe it is part of something bigger. But potentially it could freeze PostgreSQL out of more Sun-centric shops. {locally we use Linux mostly, some Sun, but used to be much more Sun oriented; personally from a Sun background and have a faint fondness for their servers}. I doubt that any entity other than Sun can provide software fixes for issues in Sun kernels that might improve PostgreSQL's performance.

My $0.04 worth (inflation)

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC, a DigitalGlobe company

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

(My corporate masters made me say this.)

<*may* not *does*, and how the heck could anyone destroy all copies of the original ?!? That's a hoot! my Corporate Masters did not make me say this, too much beer did! >